Tuesday 16 August 2011

Meet The Band: Vinay Kashyap


Folks today you get to meet our rhythm guitarist Vinay Kashyap. The sweetest Scorpio you can meet, we figure…or he keeps his traits under severe restraint. Let’s hear it for Vinay!

The lab coat in this picture is his own touch and we assure you he is not going to be wearing that at the gigs. We thinks it's kinda cool though :)


Name:
Vinay 

The instrument you play:  
Guitar

What prompted you to pick up the instrument?
A long long answer  : )...  For those who want a one line answer jump to the underlined section at the end of this paragraph... !

The reason I “Picked up” a guitar comes after a string of different things I tried with music. It all began in the 5th standard,  when I was impressed by my landlord who played the Flute. So it started with me learning Flute from him for a while and after a good gap of around 4 years I happened to try my hands at Keyboards at a friend’s place and then started taking some serious classical Piano lessons while in parallel picking up other day to day hindi/kannada movie music that one gets to hear. Around this time I was introduced to rock music when I happened to see/hear some rock music while channel surfing. Almost instantly rock music became my primary genre of interest and I started trying to play some those riffs/licks on keyboard but always felt something was missing and when I started listening to my greatest rock music inspiration Iron Maiden, I really felt I had to try playing their music on Guitars. I started trying to do that by trying to learn Guitar off and on from some friends. This then lead me to start taking Guitar lessons from a guitar teacher (even though I didn’t take lessons long enough to do formal grades).

So the one line answer :  Seeing Iron Maiden play live made me pick up a Guitar.

Are you professionally trained? 
A brief stint at a Guitar school, yes. But nothing more formal than that.

Who are your primary influences?
As a band, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin.  In terms of individual Guitarists: Joe Satriani, Jimmy Page.

With respect to your instrument, the one song that you think is brilliant: 
I’ll have to pick 2 : Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin  and Hallowed be thy name by Iron Maiden.

Given a chance, which national/international band would you have loved to be part of?
Iron Maiden.

What can one find you doing when not indulging in music?
Catching up on cricket and football, Collecting and watching movies. 

Your profession: 
Software Engineering.

One totally ‘useless trivia’ kind of fact about you: 
I am scared of spiders. 

Vinay will be weaving his magic on the guitars on Saturday at 64 Bistro!

0 comments: